Paratha is a staple food in North India. This recipe comes from the home of Ms. Sounthara Jeyaraj, Rising Star Outreach’s Accounts Assistant in India. She loves cooking and makes a lot of North Indian dishes. The time she spends cooking those dishes helps her reflect on the time she spent living in that region for years.
This dish is a flatbread made from wheat flour that usually comes in many different flavors and has delicious, flaky layers. A soft dough is prepared by hand, formed and flattened, and then folded several times to create those flaky layers. There are many stuffed and non-stuffed varieties of paratha. Stuffed parathas can be made using any stuffings of your choice.
3 cups wheat flour
2 pinches of salt
1 cup warm water
3/4 cups ghee
4 teaspoons neutral oil
MAKING THE DOUGH:
1. In a wide bowl, take 3 cups of flour and 2 teaspoons of oil.
2. Add 2 pinches of salt and give a rough mix.
3. Add lukewarm water to this mixture and knead the dough using your fingers.
4. Knead until the dough until flour is incorporated. The dough won’t be perfectly smooth, but it should not be shaggy. If the dough is shaggy or too dry, it will not form layers.
5. Rub oil on the dough and place it in a covered bowl for 10 minutes.
6. Divide the dough into four equal balls.
ROLLING THE DOUGH:
1. Lightly flour the rolling area. Flatten a dough ball and sprinkle some wheat flour on it.
2. Roll the dough to a thin layer and smear ghee evenly on the round layer.
3. Fold the top 1/3rd of the flattened dough down to the middle and apply ghee on the folded part.
4. Repeat for the left 1/3rd, right 1/3rd, and bottom 1/3rd. It should form a square shape at this point.
5. Once it is folded to a square shape, start rolling again. You can sprinkle some flour before rolling to give your rolling pin a better grip on the dough.
COOKING THE DOUGH:
1. Heat a pan on the stove on medium high heat.
2. When the dough begins bubbling, flip the paratha.
3. Stack the parathas to keep them soft.
Parathas are usually served with yogurt/curd, pickles, dhal, or any rich gravies and can be served as breakfast or dinner. Enjoy!
#IndianCuisine #Dinner #Vegetarian #IndianRecipe #Paratha #IndianRecipesForDinner #NorthIndiaDish #IndianDish