IMPORTANT COVID-19 UPDATE
The news is full of stories about Covid-19 in India right now. Like you, our hearts ache for the people that are going through such suffering. We have been actively discussing and monitoring this situation with our excellent staff and board in India. We know that you care about the families and communities that we serve there, so we want to provide you with the following update:
- In many parts of India, it is as bad as the news says it is. The suffering is real and palpable.
- Rising Star Outreach plans to help again. During the last shutdown, we were able to get essential food and supplies to over 50,000 people. Many thanks to our generous partners in this effort.
- While this covid wave is much more severe than the wave India faced a few months ago, the government response has been different. There hasn’t yet been a quick and complete shutdown like the last wave, so people affected by leprosy haven’t faced the same dire need of help with food and medicine.
- The situation changes from day to day. Our team in India has a great pulse on the covid crisis and is readying a response based on the needs and government clearances.
- As soon as we have the needed information and assurance that we can give help where needed, we will update our web page and social media. We don’t want to take more donations for Covid-19 until we know we can put them to the intended use.
Since 2001, Rising Star Outreach non-profit has been dedicated to empowering individuals and families to rise above the stigma associated with leprosy and to live healthy, productive lives through quality education, medical care, and community development.
Our three-pronged approach was developed to eradicate the devastating effects of leprosy throughout India from multiple angles. This approach is a comprehensive method of healing that addresses the various contributing factors to why leprosy is still on-going despite the fact that it is a curable disease. By supplying and strengthening efforts in medical care, community, and education we can create real sustainable change in the lives of individuals, families, and communities for generations to come.
Create and support educational programs for children living in leprosy colonies and neighboring villages to foster equal opportunity, integration, and confidence in the rising generation. Quality education has the power to erase stigma, restore dignity, and pave a path for a bright future.
Through mobile clinics and partnerships with area hospitals and health professionals, we provide critical medical care, dental care, mobility assistance devices, vision care, and an aggressive screening program to identify cases of leprosy for proper vaccination and treatment.
Facilitate infrastructure, growth, and community development within India’s leprosy colonies, that contributes to improving living conditions, productivity, self sufficiency, and long-term sustainability for individuals, families and for the community as a whole.
A new sponsorship program like you have never seen before!
The Sponsor A Child Program that we know and love just got even better!
This revamp into the STARS program (Sponsor To A Rising Star) is an enhanced experience for both students and sponsors and will allow for a more enriching and rewarding sponsorship.
- New and exciting blind survey match up process
- A hands on envelope reveal of the match up results
- Mentoring with students through live video chats
- New welcome box experience for first time sponsors
Sponsors and students can expect a friendship and cultural journey they will never forget.
Get matched up with a student today!
Watch and share this video with those who are interested in getting involved and making an impact in the lives of some of those who need you most.
IN OVER 60 LEPROSY COLONIES ACROSS INDIA
This past year, we administered more than 36,300 medical treatments, issued over 193 rotating micro-grants, and we supported the education of 800 children.
Here’s How You Can Get Involved
Join our efforts in helping to empower those affected by the stigma of Leprosy. There are lots of ways you can help.
WHAT WE’RE UP AGAINST
The number of NEW leprosy cases in India just last year
The number of children from India newly diagnosed with leprosy just this past year
Of the worlds cases of leprosy come from India
Our educational programs and projects not only support our K-12 school in Southern India, but also the education and well-being of other leprosy affected children in multiple locations throughout India. We are thrilled to be expanding our efforts to Northern India where we are building our second school and welcoming 187 new students to our Sponsor A Child program.
For less than a dollar a day you can support the education and well-being of a child who is attending one of our non-profit schools for the leprosy affected. As a sponsor you will also have multiple opportunities to develop a closer connection with your child and their educational journey.
3521 N. UNIVERSITY AVE, STE 250
PROVO, UT 84604